Wednesday, August 9, 2017

And The Lights Will Flicker On And Off

| Now Playing: Hard Feelings / Loveless by Lorde |

I light all the candles,
Cut flowers for all my rooms.
I care for myself the way I used to care about you.
These days we kiss and we keep busy,
The waves come after midnight.
I call from underwater,
Why even try to get right?
When you've outgrown a lover,
The whole world knows but you.
It's time to let go of this endless summer afternoon.

Hard feelings, These are what they call hard feelings, of love.
When the sweet words and fevers all leave us here in the cold.
Alone with the hard feelings, of love.
God I wish I believed you when you told me this was my home.

Bet you wanna rip my heart out,
Bet you wanna skip my calls now.
But guess what, I'd like that.
'Cause I'm gonna mess your life up,
Gonna wanna tape my mouth shut.
Look out, lovers.
We're L-O-V-E-L-E-S-S, generation.
L-O-V-E-L-E-S-S, generation.
Of fucking with our lovers' heads, generation.
___________________________________________________________________

So much drama has happened in the past few days at work, I don't even know where to begin. I posted my last blog during my second attempt at staying up during the night to prepare myself for my Sunday night / Monday morning shift, the first of five. Well, I was successful. I stayed up until about 6:30, and slept until about 4:30, if I remember correctly. Everything's a little hazy, given my schedule since overnights started, so I'm bound to get some specifics wrong.

I woke up Sunday evening, and just played Splatoon 2 until it was time to get ready for work. The first night at work was probably the biggest flip that my department was undergoing. And that's what we were starting with. And it was, it really was a massive flip. It was a lot. Between myself, Cheryl, and Ken, plus the added weight of the Mod Team, we were able to get everything done that we had set out to do on Night 1, but the No Mod, dear God. The stuff dropping off of the Mod, the sheer amount of everything, is absolutely insane. I think the first night, we had seven carts of No Mod? Something like that, I honestly can't even be bothered to recall. It was just a lot, a lot, a lot. Then, as soon as I get off, which was over an hour late, by the way, I went straight home and went straight to bed. That's pretty much my routine when I work overnights. It worked well in the past, so I utilized it for this round of overnights as well.

Coming in Monday night / Tuesday morning was great. It's always wonderful to come in for an overnight shift, being told you aren't doing your job correctly and you left an obscene amount of pallets that should have been worked. Oh, and this is AFTER you walked off what was left with the Headmistress, which was only a pallet, a float, and a rocket cart. But spinning tales of seven pallets and all of that works too. Needless to say, Cheryl and I were PISSED. Then, I was told that I should have started planning this reset 30 days ahead of time. You know, the department that as of this morning, I have only had for TWENTY-FIVE DAYS. I was so beyond angry and so beyond over it. I'm glad that was the last of the nit-picking for the most part, but it really just set my teeth on edge and made them bleed frustration.

Last night / this morning, we got ahead. All four sections that were set to be made on our last two nights of overnights, we busted our asses and got them finished last night. So we're ahead as far as setting goes. But even though that's a great thing, we still have all of this New Mod and regular freight to work, that if we weren't ahead, we'd be utterly screwed. Luckily though, we are ahead for setting, so we can spend these next two nights filling and stocking the department. This is assuming everything goes according to plan, which, I'm not betting on. But hopefully, luck will slide more in our favor.

Shout out to SpongeBob for the title of this blog. It's a line from one of my favorite SpongeBob episodes of all time, Graveyard Shift, since I've been nether deep in overnights this week. I've also been listening to a lot of Lorde lately, hence why the past two blogs have had Lorde in the NP. Melodrama might just be becoming the soundtrack to Book Two. I haven't had much time for writing or time for reading more of The Foxhole Court, because everything's just been so crazy. I haven't even played Splatoon 2 since that Sunday evening before overnight week started, which is so foreign to me because I've played it every single day since I got it. But alas, my life has been so SpongeBob, answering to the metaphorical Hash-Slinging Slasher.


Tonight / tomorrow morning, we're cutting our overtime. Both Cheryl and I have plans tomorrow, so it works out. Plus, since we're ahead, it makes the most sense for us to cut it tonight when we're just running pallets upon pallets of freight and what have you. I'm getting Tattoo #6 at 12:30 tomorrow afternoon, and I'm so pumped! Mom had her appointment today, but I couldn't go because I was sleeping. I haven't heard from her, so she's either still getting tattooed, or she's on her way home from being tattooed and can't send me the picks. I can't even remember what she was getting, but I can't remember what anything is thanks to overnights, so I'm not going to push my luck.

I'm hoping tonight goes as planned, and Cheryl and I can both dip out at 5 AM to cut our time, and I can go immediately (ALL JUNIOR GIRLS REPORT TO THE GYMNASIUM IMMEDIATELY. IMMEDIATELY!) to bed so I can get some rest before my tattoo appointment. I would normally apologize for a movie reference, like that Mean Girls one in parentheses, but I don't apologize for any Mean Girls references, ever.

Flickering lights and long overnights,

-- Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment