Saturday, December 29, 2018

Ultimate Christ

Isn’t it crazy that this is year is already coming to an end? It seems like just yesterday I was ringing in the new year with this incredibly handsome guy as we danced to the thumping applause of another year’s arrival. And now that same guy and I are looking for our own place together. In the words of Shane Dawson, “CRAZY”. 

Honestly, I also can’t believe I’ve kept up this blog for as long as I have. And entire year and a half of chronicles to marvel at. Or bullshit to rehash, whichever prerogative, depending on the subject matter. I’m just looking forward to 2019 and what it will, hopefully, offer. Prosperity would be an amazing theme to the new year that I could really get behind. 

The past week has been sort of a lot, but all in all, it’s been pretty well. My boyfriend and I went back out to the Christmas pop up bar and tried more drinks from their festive menu, and that’s been a nice place to commiserate. Low key, or really high key, I guess, drama on that end, but what can you expect from double date type scenarios? Kelly and Andrew are great and all, but aren’t we supposed to leave petty drama in high school? I don’t know, I’m just over it really.

Work has been rowdy lately, per the usual course that happens at least once during the work week. My manager was super rude to me again, and we ended up having a talk in the office. I felt a little better, just in the sense that I was able to get everything off of my chest during that little meeting, but the conclusion is thus: I think it’s just time for something different. My goal is to try and get on at Barnes & Noble. I’ve been wanting to work there for years and, while it’s still retail, at least it’s more geared to something I would love to be dealing with and surrounded by. I just think that would be a step closer in the right direction.

And then the descending of Christmas happened! After work was finally over with Saturday, it was full Christmas mode as far as I was concerned. My boyfriend ended up getting us an early Christmas present in the form of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and we’ve been playing the hell out of it. We’re still trying to unlock all of the characters, but it’s a lot of fun just trying to win and get everyone on the roster. We’ve incorporated some Mario Kart 8 in there too, because we’d been playing copious amounts of that before we got Smash, so it’s been nice to lean into leisure with the Switch lately, a wonderfully welcomed reprieve from the work stress, at least.

We went to a Christmas party this weekend and our friend Chelsea’s and it was a lot of fun. I’m beginning to wonder if that’s where the genesis of my sickness truly began, but I guess I’ll never know. And also this weekend was Christmas Brunch, which was fun but also drama filled. It’s been a very drams filled week honestly, and I’m just really ready to surpass it. Then it was back to work Monday, Christmas Eve, and thankfully, it wasn’t too bad. I really wasn’t determined to do that much in the first place, considering the fact that it was Christmas Eve, but I made it through the day.

Then gift giving! Since my boyfriend and I were spending Christmas Day back where I’m from, we did our Christmas here after work on Christmas Eve, and it was a wonderful consumption of the holiday spirit. My boyfriend got me some pretty awesome things, one of which is a Hufflepuff Quidditch captain shirt that even had my name and favorite number on it. It’s amazing, and probably one of the most thoughtful gifts I’ve ever received. Along with some Funko Pops of Dorothy from Golden Girls and Velma from Scooby Doo, which I’ve never owned before, he just knows me super well. We also got a couples massage from his mom, so we’ll definitely be taking advantage of that soon, hopefully around our One Year.

Then the trip to Salem happened. We got up super early, around 6 AM, and started the trek. It wasn’t too bad, jamming out to Christmas music on the way there. We arrived at my moms place, after a lot of planning and coordination, and it was weird. Things with my mom have just been that, weird, lately, and that translated to when we got there. Keeping in mind, this was my boyfriend’s first time meeting them, and given all the weirdness, I’m sure it was weird for him. But things weren’t all bad. I gave them their gifts, and my mom gave me mine. She gave me some money along with a Barnes & Noble gift card, which is awesome. I wasn’t expecting a whole lot, or really anything, just based on our relationship lately, but I was thankful to receive them. I’m not a super materialistic person, I would have been fine with no gift. But again, it was much appreciated. So after my mom gave Allen this super awful and higher alcohol content beer, we headed over to my grandparents for the Christmas there. And it was pretty great. There’s just something from the energy of the Christmases there that I really enjoy, I’m not sure what it is. But I love it. My grandparents ended up giving me enough money to get Vellum, the writing program I haven’t shut up about lately. A ton of clothes from my dad and stepmom, cute heart cut out frames of pictures of me and Allen, and my grandma loved her coloring books and apparently my grandma adores his mug that I got him. I don’t like the Donald trump subject matter of the mug I got him, but hell, at least he’s enjoying it. We started heading home, but I was starting to actually feel sick, just so congested, and we were over the drive, so we ended up getting a hotel for the night in Charlottesville. It was actually a really nice getaway, and we had sushi king on Christmas, so that was a pretty cool way to end the holiday. 

And! I bought myself a used MacBook! Literally how long have I been talking about having a MacBook? Literally forever. I bought it off someone from Facebook Marketplace, on Thursday, which was exactly one year to the day that I bought my iMac from someone in Facebook Marketplace. The universe had a funny way of showing itself sometimes. But so far, it’s great, and I can’t wait to be able to write portably again!

Things have been fairly chill in the past few days, except for work yesterday, but what can you do? We had our cooking class last night and it was awesome. Well, the end result was awesome. It was awkward at first, and we thought we would be cooking every part of our meal, but we teamed up and everyone made one thing? I don’t know, perhaps TV has ruined the idea of cooking classes? All in all, it was a fun experience and the people were pretty great. Hopefully, after work today, it’s a chill weekend for us to just relax, and then New Years shenanigans can take place. And here’s to 2018 for being hell of a year, and to bigger and better things in 2019. 

Until next year,


— Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment